Lasagna, lasagne, lah-san-ngah!

Lasagna's are so simple, this is just another variation whipped up with whatever was at home. I was laughing with my mum the other day that I've been making them since about the age of 12 and that I still remember my first Home Ec class in school when I was 13, where we all sat around to learn how to make A SANDWICH!!!! I was mighty confused and whipped up the sandwich in no time and didn't really understand how others were finding in difficult?!


(this looked a lot prettier before dad hacked into it!)

Anywho, as time has gone on, baking lasagna is in my blood! This is solely due to my mum, because I would sit in the kitchen as a little kid very awe-inspired that she could do so many things at once and end up with this amazing result of a lasagna! It's a great meal to make as you inevitably always have too much sauce left over which in turn makes great pasta sauces or pizza bases! Three meals in one! I'm really thinking like a mum now ;) Also, muffin LOVES LASAGNA - so its a very great skill for me to have!


Vegetarian Lasagna
2 whole zucchini's, sliced 1/2 cm thin
1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 cm thin
1/2 pumpkin, sliced 1/2 cm thin
1 sweet potato, sliced sliced 1/2 cm thin

olive oil
salt
pepper

3 giant field mushrooms, sliced thickly
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped finely

Approx 1 cup basic pasta sauce recipe (substitute lentils, beans and soy granules for the soy chunks)

1 cup dried soy chunks * (I buy mine at an indian grocer - you just rehydrate them in water and they puff up and are quite firm but squishy)

Approx 1/2 cup basic bechamel  (or soy)

1/2 cup cheese (optional)

1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Lasagna sheets (mine were skinny, I used about 9 and made a giant lasagna)

HOW TO:
Roast zucchini, eggplant, pumpkin and potato on baking trays with salt, pepper and olive oil for about 20 minutes.

Fry mushrooms and rosemary in olive oil until browned.

Assemble lasagna by adding a small layer of tomato sauce, lasagna sheets, vegies and so on. Top with a final layer of lasagna sheets, all of the bechamel and finally, the cheese. Top with sesame seeds for a nice crunch and also a nommy toasted flavour.

Bake at 180C for about 40 minutes.

Eat with a nice green salad and deliciously fresh bread rolls your father has made moments earlier!



*My sister and I didn't really like these chunks as they are really meaty! My dad even yelled the words "what this meaty stuff?! Yeah.. I thought it was meat - its like sausages!" .... I no likey.

Comments

  1. Your lasagne sure looks good. I'd make it and it would last the whole working week, or invite some friends over to share. I have to admit, I've not used soya in lasagne, but am happy to do so. My husband likes the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you - it looks good in a sloppy homecooked kinda way! It definitely would have lasted a LONG time if we didn't have 5 of us at dinner. I like the soy-ey textures in small doses and this was just a bit too much :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing! So much veggie goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for perusing my blog, I'll try to reply to all comments :D

Popular Posts